Build Your Inclusive Play Toolkit with Updated Research and Resources from GameTime
One of the first steps in creating an inclusive playground is understanding the needs of the children and families in your community, and how a playground can be designed to address the needs of the whole child, the whole play environment and the whole community. GameTime offers research-based resources from our parent company, PlayCore, that provide key statistics on children affected by disabilities, how design best practices can positively impact the lives of every child and make your play and recreation project a community centerpiece. Here are two of the leading resources that have been updated with new information for 2017.
Me2℠: 7 Principles of Inclusive Playground Design®
Whole communities start with inclusively designed whole environments which carefully meet the needs of the whole child. Children want to ‘Be’ and feel fair, included, smart, independent, safe, active, and comfortable during play. The 7 Principles of Inclusive Playground Design focus on the usage of individual play activities as well as the context of the overall environmental design. By aligning these design principles and the specific guidelines and considerations, communities can create whole environments that support the active participation of all people, of all ages, and all abilities.
- Design guidebook of best practices and considerations for upgrading existing or designing new outdoor inclusive play environments
- Supportive research, community engagement strategies, and advocacy resources
- Model inclusive play case examples
2 Play Together®: Fostering Friendships Through Inclusive Play
Developed in partnership with the National Lekotek Center, 2PlayTogether offers a valuable resource striving to make a difference in inclusive playground play and creating communities that care through character education. This resource equips programmers with tips and activities that will promote play, understanding, and fun between children with and without disabilities
- Playground activities and programming tips designed to create awareness, break down barriers, and foster friendships between children of all abilities
- Supportive research and disability awareness tools
- Playground activities aligned to character education