Activity Program // Play On!Evidence-Based Playground Activities Promoting Physical Activity & Fitness Through Active Play
Promote Physical Activity & Fitness Through Active Play
Play On! helps organizations design outdoor play environments that align with national standards for youth physical activity, and it provides fun, physical activities for children to enjoy.
The PlayOn! guidebook and curriculum includes 125 standards-based playground activities for children in Pre-K through 5th grade. Combined with playgrounds aligned to six key elements of play, they promote overall fitness and are highly effective tools for maximizing one of your community’s greatest assets - playgrounds!
Play On! Includes:
- 125 playground activities for grades PreK-5
- Assessment worksheets and equipment lists
- National Standards of Physical Activity alignment matrix
- Safety, implementation, inclusion, and teaching strategies
- Design strategies and funding resources
- Playground design strategies to promote higher levels of physical activity
- Professional development training module
Results Based on Research
Western Michigan University conducted an objective analysis of the Play On! program and found:
- 91% of teachers reported that playground use increased
- 90% of teachers plan to use the program in the future
- 100% rated the program 4-5 on a 5 point scale
- 25% of parents participated in more family activity after the Play On! program was initiated
- 100% of students reported having fun engaging in the activities
- 90-100% of teachers reported that PlayOn! motivated students to participate in regular, enjoyable, physical activity in a safe and supervised environment
Become a National Demonstration Site!
Armed with the information in Play On!, your community can create a playground that implements research-based best practices for promoting physical activity through active play. Your community will be awarded an esteemed National Demonstration Site designation to promote your leadership and gain national awareness. Learn more about becoming a National Demonstation Site.