Outdoor Fitness Parks for Better Health
This is a nine-part series on the benefits of Outdoor Fitness Parks. It is based on the research and information found in Outdoor Adult Fitness Parks™: Best Practices for Promoting Community Health by Increasing Physical Activity, published by PlayCore. Request a copy of the complete guidebook to help you plan the perfect fitness park.
We receive questions all the time, such as "what are the best types of equipment for an outdoor fitness park?" or "how can I promote my outdoor fitness park to improve community health?" - these and many other questions have increased over the years as communities look for ways to encourage people to exercise outdoors.
In this blog series, we will answer these questions and many more. You'll find information that inspires communities to advocate and utilize Outdoor Adult Fitness Parks as critical health solutions for increasing physical activity and social engagement.
Benefits of Outdoor Adult Fitness Parks
- Free to users, providing needed resources especially in underserved communities
- People who exercise outdoors are more likely to repeat the behavior
- People who exercise outdoors are more likely to engage in the activity longer than those who exercise indoors
- Provides a social outlet for exercise
- Can be enjoyed by people of all abilities and fitness levels
- Provides exposure to fresh air, nature, and sunlight, which increases important levels of vitamin D
- May encourage a greater number of people to exercise regularly than indoor options
- Offers fitness park owners an outlet for generating revenue through program agreements with certified personal trainers
- Acts as a catalyst to encourage the non-exercising population to engage
- Increases interest in related community services, such as nutrition education and health screenings
- Fitness parks located within sightlines of a playground promote active behavior in adult family members, increase time spent at the playground, and help promote the importance of lifelong fitness
- Promotes neighborhood pride where fitness parks are located
- May qualify for increased grant funding related to obesity prevention/reduction
- Increases community and social capital
- Promotes healthy behavior for families in age-appropriate settings
If you want to learn more about the benefits of outdoor fitness parks and want to explore creating one for your community, contact the GameTime outdoor fitness expert in your neighborhood.